My Activity Passport
'My Activity Passport' was launched by Education Secretary Damian Hinds in December 2018 as part of his drive to inspire primary school children to try new life experiences - from flying a kite or going on a nature trail, to learning a poem or cooking a meal – and underlines the importance of wider life experiences. The passport contains milestones for each year group to complete both in and outside school.
The passport builds on the Education Secretary’s vision for every child to build character and resilience through enjoyable and varied experiences, underpinned by the 5 Foundations for Building Character, all of which are represented in some form in the passport’s list of age-appropriate activities:
- Sport – competitive sport and activities such as running, martial arts, swimming and purposeful recreational activities, such as rock climbing, hiking, orienteering, gym programmes, yoga or learning to ride a bike;
- Creativity – all creative activities from coding, arts and crafts, writing, graphic design, film making and music composition;
- Performing – activities could include dance, theatre and drama, musical performance, choir, debating or public speaking;
- Volunteering & Membership – bringing together teams for practical action in the service of others or groups, such as volunteering, litter-picking, fundraising, any structured youth programmes or uniformed groups like Beavers, Brownies, Cubs, Guides, Scouts, Cadets and Duke of Edinburgh; and
- World of work – practical experience of the world of work, work experience or entrepreneurship. For primary age children, this may involve opportunities to meet role models from different jobs.
We will be looking into completing some of the activities in school time, however, it is likely that the majority will need to be done at home. The children recognised that it would help them spend more time with their families and were excited about the activities. It would be fantastic to hear about your experiences completing the tasks and we hope to see many pictures that we can share.