Parent Support Advisor
Parent Support Advisor
Parenting is not an easy job and it doesn’t come with a handbook!
Dawn Mason is our PSA. Her role is to help and give advice about many issues facing parents today. She is here to support your child to get the very best from school by providing guidance and a listening ear. Dawn will be able to help you with any worries you may have about your child, and provide advice.
What does our Parent Support Adviser do?
It would be hard to make a definitive list but she will help with such issues as:
- Parental/ Family concerns
- Behaviour Management
- Emotional wellbeing
- Parent confidence building
- Child/ Parent relationship breakdown
- Settling in and times of transition
- Coping with bereavement and trauma
- Dealing with friendship worries and much more.
- Accessing support when families face a wide range of issues such as: eviction, unemployment, domestic violence, mental health crises.
The PSA also liaises with the Educational Welfare Officer (EWO) on issues relating to attendance and punctuality. When a child’s attendance or punctuality becomes a concern, the first contact will usually be Dawn.
In addition to working with individual families, the PSA also organises parenting courses on a variety of issues, some in response to issues that arise, some in response to parental requests and some of general interest. Sometimes, parents from other local schools join in.
How does our Parent Support Adviser do this?
- offering one to one support
- listening to parents/carers and giving confidential support and guidance
- providing information about other relevant services
Why might you need to use our Parent Support Advisor?
My child is having difficulties settling into school…My child is anxious about school…My child’s behaviour is getting out of hand…I have got lots of questions about being a parent…I just need someone I can talk to…I’m really worried about my son/daughter’s self-esteem…I would like to know who else I can talk to about my situation….
How do I contact the Parent Support Advisor?Dawn is usually in the playground before school on a Thursday. You can speak to her directly there or you can phone the school office to make an appointment or email her directly at PSA@fivelanes.wilts.sch.uk or call her on 07340 866562.